Sunday, December 21, 2014

Flaws in Armor

Okay so Allison and I did our project together. She looked at weaponry-which she demonstrates in the video. I studied the armor of the three different cultures we've looked at in class (Roman, Egyptian, and British) and constructed my own armor based off of their flaws (also in the video). It did not turn out as well as I would have liked, given the time limit and lack of proper materials on my part. However, during my examination of traditional armor, I found some major flaws. 



Firstly, Roman armor.
1. Little to no arm or leg protection. Those are valuable appendages you've got there, it'd be a shame if something were to happen to them. Seriously.
2. Those shoes do not match that dress. Open toed shoes are a tripping hazard-I don't care if it's hot out. You can get heat stroke or you can die because you tripped.
3. That helmet. I will admit that it does cover most of the face, but it also inhibits the view. Plus, it doesn't protect the neck very well.
4. That shield is large enough to cover most of the body and shouldn't be too heavy. Nice choice. (Okay so that's a good thing)

Roman soldiers sometimes had capes or cloaks too.
 I have one thing to say about that-->

Next Up: Egyptian armor



1. I know it's hot but, guys, c'mon, cover up.
2.Like the Romans, no arm/leg protection.
3. If you look at the third guy from the left, the one who looks like he's wearing a rainbow suit, you'll see some surprisingly effective armor. He's wearing something like chain mail but made of leather scales.
4. Their helmets don;t protect the neck or the ears, which are kind of important, you know what I mean?
Finally, British armor.



(Yes, this is medieval armor, I know)
1. Very well covered up.
2.That being said, WAY too covered up. That metal suit is going to make it difficult to move.
3. Limited visibility/ventilation on the helmet.
4. Metal finger gloves....no. Those are going to be so hard to manipulate.

My armor was inspired by the armor from The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. If I'd had more time, I would have liked to lean more towards the lower half of Alice's armor, as it was very functional.


Alice in Wonderland 








Dawn Treader Chest Plate
Bibliography:
1. Stone, George Cameron. A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration, and Use of Arms and Armor in All Countries and in All Times. Portland, Maine: Dover, 1999. Print.
2. Edge, David, and John Miles Paddock. Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight. Avenel, New Jersey: Crescent, 1995. Print.

5 comments:

  1. I liked how instead of just giving information you actually listed all of the things wrong with the armor through the ages it makes you wonder who will be the first fighting force to create the perfect body armor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the way that it you seemed to actually talk to the reader, rather than just spit out information at us. What do you think is the most effective armor? If the armor from Roman, Egyptian and Britain were combined, would they work even more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your creativity and tone of voice. I can also relate to this post because my post is very similar and our facts are similar. Also, who doesn't appreciate a nice Edna .gif. What do you think was the biggest setback in terms of armor as a Roman soldier?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you didn't just list out information, but you pointed out flaws and such about each type. One question though, how did you apply the knowledge in your own way to your product? You guys just kind of displayed what the info said, is there a way you could have put your own twist on it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the freedom of your word choice and how you were creative about it. What could have made the Roman armor more protective?

    ReplyDelete